DIY Salad Jar
Here is an incredibly simple but clever idea for a nutrient packed, delicious crunchy lunch, especially when you are on the go. No more soggy salad!
Easily adaptable to suit your preferences… Just use whatever you love, or what you have in your fridge!
Layering keeps the crunchy crunchy and the leaves fresh and crisp.
What you will need:
A mason jar or large glass jar
Salad dressing/olive oil
Protein – tofu, cold cooked meat, cheese, eggs, nuts and seeds – you choose
Starchy grains, potatoes, pasta or veg (optional)
Salad of your choosing, might include salad leaves and greens, cucumber, carrots, beans, sprouts, beetroot, celery, corn, tomatoes
Optional: Sweet dried or fresh fruits, maybe cranberries, sultanas, fresh apple
And here’s what to do:
- Take your jar and add your salad dressing or olive oil.
- Add the elements of your salad which are hard or are ok to be next to the dressing and won’t matter if they get a little soggy. For example, chopped carrots, onions, celery, beetroot.
- Next add your cooked grains and/or beans.
- For your next layer, add the protein of your choice.
- Next add more salad – grated carrot, corn, tomatoes, cucumber, sprouts, together with the sweeter fruits.
- A few nuts and seeds next will add extra protein, crunch and texture.
- And finally add your chopped salad leaves – rocket, watercress, lettuce and so much more.
Put the lid on tight and off you go!
Store in the fridge and when you are ready to eat carefully tip upside down to allow the dressing to cover the contents. You can eat straight from the jar or alternatively pour the contents out onto a plate or into a bowl. (A small shake before opening will help to loosen the ingredients. If you packed it tight to get more in, you may need to give it a little extra help!)
You will have a beautiful, crunchy salad packed with nourishing goodness.