Slow Cooker Series: Lentil & Rice Dish
I am a huge fan of the slow cooker. It’s perfect in Winter as you can just chuck everything in and let it bubble away without a worry in the world! There’s nothing better than smelling a home cooked meal when you walk in after a long day – and it’s all ready to go. With the weather cooling down, I will be posting a few slow cooker recipes to help you through this season – it’s one of my favourites! Here’s one of the first easy recipes: My Slow Cooker Lentil & Rice Dish.
What you need:
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1.5 cup of lentils
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 x 400g can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable stock or equivalent
(I use the thermomix homemade vegie stock)
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of frozen peas
What you need to do:
- The night before you would like to eat this meal, place all ingredients (except the peas) into a slow cooker, give the mix a quick stir and leave to soak overnight.
- In the morning turn on the slow cooker on a low setting and cook for 8 hrs adding the peas in during the last hour.
- Serve and enjoy.
Check out more recipes over here on the blog.