The perfect gluten free chocolate chip cookies
Throughout my entire pregnancy I have craved Chocolate Chip cookies, however I wanted to create a healthier alternative to the store bought cookies. Store bought cookies tend to be filled with not so healthy ingredients and this is why they can live on a shelf for months and months at a time without going off.
I have made this recipe plenty of times and it never fails to hit the spot! My favourite thing about these cookies is that they remain soft in the middle and are not overly sweet, which makes them a great little treat for the whole family.
This recipe is gluten free and nut free and I have included dairy free alternatives.
What you need:
2/3 cup of coconut flour
1/3 cup cacao nibs (this is what I usually use however you can use dark chocolate chips if you prefer)
1/2cup of melted butter or coconut oil if you prefer dairy free
1 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
What you need to do:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and prepare a large baking tray with baking paper
- Mix the coconut flour, eggs, salt, butter (or coconut oil) honey and vanilla extract in a bowl until well combined and you notice that the consistency will change from runny to slightly thicker as the coconut flour begins to absorb the liquid from the wet ingredients. If you notice that the mixture is still very runny make sure you add a little more coconut flour until the right consistency is achieved.
- Throw in the cacao nibs (or dark chocolate chips) and make sure they are mixed evenly through the cookie dough.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out portions onto your baking tray- this recipe makes around 18 cookies.
- Use your hands and the back of the spoon to create the shape of the cookie you desire. (please note that this mixture will not spread when cooking like wheat flour cookies do)
- Place cookies into the centre of the oven and bake for around 10-15 minutes. The cookies will be cooked when the outside turns a golden brown colour.
- Once cooked transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy xx